The Controller is responsible for leading the organization’s operational accounting and reporting functions, and ensuring the Company’s processes, systems, and internal controls are in line with US GAAP reporting requirements. This “hands on” position will oversee the Accounting team, our financial management systems, processes, policies, and procedures, and perform technical accounting research related to various accounting matters and lead the development of internal controls and compliance efforts.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct and manage the day-to-day accounting operations including accounts payable, fixed assets, and general ledger:
- Review invoice coding, monthly reconciliations, and journal entries.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the general ledger structure.
- Manage on-going general ledger structure maintenance.
- Timely preparation of all financial reports and filings:
- Monthly, Quarterly, annual and other periodic filings, including financial statements, footnotes, MD&A and all supporting documentation.
- Monthly and quarterly financial results and create related financial statements and reports.
- Prepare cost analyses, financial studies, and statements and reports of estimated future costs and revenue as needed to ensure Venatorx’s efficient use of cash.
- Ownership of the US Government invoicing and accounting processes, including strong understanding of all inputs.
- Oversee and direct the execution of cash management and banking transactions.
- Support the implementation and operationalization of new accounting standards.
- Support as necessary R&D collaborations, and various complex business transactions.
- Ensure adequate controls and accurate reporting of financial information accordance with US Government Cost Principles and US GAAP.
- Manage, mentor and develop Accounting team, ensuring optimal structure of the department.
- Analyze company's financial results with respect to revenue, costs, performance trends and compliance with budgets, highlighting issues or concerns to the COO and other senior leadership to address as necessary.
- Coordinate, plan, and execute the annual audits as well as quarterly reviews. Interfaces with the Company’s auditors.
- Identify and assist with the implementation of new software and tools to support business growth and expansion and the development and implementation of new processes and procedures to enhance the productivity, efficiency, and workflow of the Finance Department.
- Lead all technical accounting research efforts. Analyze, research, and conclude on new and proposed accounting, reporting and disclosure standards issued by the SEC, FASB and IFRS, as applicable. Prepare memorandums regarding Venatorx’s position on various technical accounting matters. Provide guidance to the finance team regarding all technical accounting matters and changes to critical accounting policies and procedures.
- Provide financial and accounting support for special projects, which may include acquisition due diligence, and/or other projects as assigned.
- Manage and ensure proper accounting treatment for all stock-based compensation related matters.
- Interface with Operations to prepare annual budget, as well as the analysis of variances.
- Work with HR to support the administration of benefits, payroll, equity management, and 401k reporting and compliance, etc.
- Coordinate, plan, and execute tax filings.
- Primary coordinator of business insurance coverage, working with brokers and insurance companies to ensure the company maintains compliance with all policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, active CPA required. Master’s in Finance or Accounting preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of Accounting experience in roles with increasing responsibility, including having recently held a Controller or Director of Accounting position.
- 3+ years in a development-stage public life sciences company.
- “Big Four” or national accounting firm audit experience is preferred.
- Technical and comprehensive knowledge of all accounting, financial planning, finance and tax areas of business including an excellent understanding of US GAAP.
- Knowledge of USG cost accounting principles (45 CFR Part 75, Subpart E – Cost Principles) strongly desired.
- Experience with multiple accounting software systems, with Microsoft Dynamics GP strongly preferred.
- Experience in monitoring and strengthening internal controls processes.
- Proficiency with Microsoft tools (Excel, Outlook, and Word) required.
- Demonstrated strong consultative and results oriented approach to solving complex financial situations.
- Demonstrated experience in working cross-functionally with executive, senior, and junior personnel.
- Ability to work effectively under to meet strict deadlines.
- Self-starter and team player who thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management skills as well as presentation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status