Drug-resistant organisms kill an estimated 23,000 people in the U.S. every year, and it is predicted that by 2050 antimicrobial drug resistance will lead to more than 10 million deaths worldwide annually, the researchers write. “… new treatment options to combat antibiotic resistance are urgently needed.” In the hunt for new antibiotic classes, antimicrobial peptides, also known as host defence peptides (HDP), represent what the authors describe as “promising alternative” to conventional antibiotics.
SMi Group is proud to announce the return of the Superbugs & Superdrugs USA conference to Iselin, NJ on the 12th and 13th November 2018.
This year’s event will discuss the issue of antibacterial resistance is becoming increasingly prevalent within the world of modern medicine. Difficult-to-treat pathogens create an incredibly real issue within clinical environments; and the problem needs to be addressed with novel treatments and the development of mechanisms which circumvent current therapeutic barriers.
The two-day event will explore the ever-growing need of informative and thought-provoking discussion, to address these industry issues, Superbugs & Superdrugs USA conference will offer a jam-packed agenda with presentations from key industry leaders and up-and-coming thinkers, within the field.
This year’s expert speaker line-up includes:
- William Weiss, Director of Pre-Clinical Services, University of North Texas Health Science Center
- Anthony Simon Lynch, Senior Scientific Director, Janssen Fellow & Incubator Leader, Janssen
- Brent Cezairliyan, Senior Scientist, Octagon Therapeutics
- Ian Friedland, Clinical Consultant, Ex-Chief Medical Officer, Achaogen
- Malcolm Thomas, CEO, Agile Sciences
- Daniel Pevear, Sr. Vice President of Biology and Grants Development, Venatorx Pharmaceuticals
- Joe Newman, Senior Director, Head of Biology, Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals
- David Huang, Chief Medical Officer, Motif BioSciences
- Antonio DiGiandoneico, Principal Scientist, MedImmune
- Mahmoud Ghannoum, Director of Center for Medical Mycology, Case Western Reserve University
- Stephen Barat, Head of Pre-Clinical and Early Clinical Development, SCYNEXIS Inc
- Christopher Ford, Group Leader, Microbiome Sciences of ID, Seres Therapeutics
- Mark Albrecht, Project Officer, HHS/ASPR/BARDA
- Laura Kovanda, Senior Director Global Development Project Leader, Astellas Pharma
- Plus many more…
The next annual installment in the global series will feature a packed agenda that homes in on expert led approaches to exploring new technologies, novel methods and broadening an understanding of funding and regulation. It will also offer hands on training through carefully selected post-conference interactive workshops, taking place on November 14th.
Rapid Diagnostics for Drug Resistance: Are we there yet? - November 14th
David Perlin, Executive Director & Professor, Public Health Research Institute, Rutgers University
Avoiding the post antibiotic era: The challenges and solutions to successful commercialization of new antibiotics
Adam Woodrow, CCO, Paratek & David Findlay, Managing Director, Morton Findlay & Associates Ltd
2018 Event Highlights:
- Learn about pathogen focused drug development
- Discover the best methods to overcome bacterial resistance through novel modes of action
- Discuss the state of developments within the anti-fungal space
- Develop an understanding of funding opportunities which support antibacterial research and development
- Gain insight into the new techniques through case-study examples of rapid diagnostic methods currently being used within the field
The latest conference brochure is available to download: www.superbugs-usa.com/openpr.
Superbugs & Superdrugs USA
November 12 - 13, 2018 | New Jersey
Sponsored by SCYNEXIS
Follow on Twitter: @SMIpharm #smibugs
*Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News
About SMi Group
Established since 1993, the SMi Group is a global event-production company that specializes in Business-to-Business Conferences, Workshops, Masterclasses and online Communities. We create and deliver events in the Defence, Security, Energy, Utilities, Finance and Pharmaceutical industries. We pride ourselves on having access to the world’s most forward-thinking opinion leaders and visionaries, allowing us to bring our communities together to Learn, Engage, Share and Network. More information can be found at www.smi-online.co.uk
Source: SMi Group